This weekend was pretty busy. On Friday I drove up to Bountiful to get a new windshield for my car. My uncle Rex knew a guy that was going to give me a good deal. When I got there Rex said that the guys was running late and that he would be there in an hour. I needed to change my oil and filter, so it was no big deal to wait because I could do that in the mean time. I also had the guy at Autozone check out my check engine light with the special OBDII tool that reads the on board dx system on my car. I kind of already knew what it was, but he confirmed that it was the secondary air pump. Unfortunately, my Haynes manual does not have ANY information on the part, or how to fix it. I don't even know where it is located on the car. Also, the guy at autozone said they don't have it and it's not something they can order. So at the moment it looks like I am going to be paying an arm and a leg at the dealer if I need to get it fixed for emissions testing. Anyway, so I changed my oil and shortly after the windshield guy showed up and got that started. When he was taking out the old windshield he took off a long strip like piece that ran from off the side of the windshield, above the doors and ended at the end of the roof on each side. This was interesting to me because I didn't know that these pieces could come off. About 7 months ago the paint on this strip started to come off and look really bad. Since I had no idea that you could take off the whole strip I thought the easiest fix would be to put some nice pin stripe tape over the part that was peeling. I went to autozone and a few other places but they did not have tape wide enough so I bought some black kind of duct tape like stuff and put it on. As you may have guessed it was ghetto looking in a very bad way. Especially when it started to go through hot and cold conditions, it would wrinkle up. So when I had the chance to work on it at Rex's place I could not pass it up. I peeled the tape off and used a solvent that Rex gave me to get the glue goo off. Then I sanded the metal surface beneath the paint so the new paint would adhere. I also sanded the transition area where the old stuff would not come off. Then I just spray painted it black with some paint Rex had lying around. It doesn't look perfect, but 100% better than it was. After doing all the stuff at Rex's place I went up to Prima Donna's house and we went to go and see Night at the Museum. She fed me a sandwich and some soup before we left. We also stopped at the dollar store and got some goodies that we smuggled into the show. The movie was alright, but for some reason I zonked out for a little bit of it, which was really weird because I never fall asleep in movies (except for the first Lord of the Rings...zzzz...). After that I went back to Provo. I took a few pictures on my trip up to Bountiful. enjoy...

Above: Rex at work on a window for his new project. Below: My Car in the shop.


Above: The one-eyed duck (it's a long story) Below: One of Rex's many cool cars.


Above and Below: Magazine covers featuring Rex's restored cars.


Above: Animals living in harmony at Rex's house. Below: Prima Donna on the way out to a movie with me.

DAVE
No comments:
Post a Comment