So today I was reading the news headlines on Yahoo as I usually do, but then I noticed that Utah was in one of the headline which almost never happens. The story was about how Utah has upheld a law saying that you could carry guns (with a permit of course) on University campuses. I am not commenting on this article because I have strong feelings either way. I guess if I think about it you should be able to have a gun with you if you want, but I digress. In the article it has numerous quotes from State representatives, students and techers. One of these stood out to me. They were talking about the recent shooting at the trolley square mall and well I'll just cut and paste what it says..:
Lawmakers point to a recent shooting at a downtown shopping mall as evidence that concealed weapons prevent additional deaths.
Armed with a shotgun and a pistol, 18-year-old Sulejman Talovic randomly shot nine people at Trolley Square, killing five, on Feb. 12. He died in a shootout with police. An off-duty Ogden police officer carrying a concealed weapon — in violation of mall policy — pinned down Talovic with gunfire until other police arrived.
"Thankfully that officer disobeyed the rule of Trolley Square of having no guns," GOP state Rep. Curt Oda said.
Oda said banning guns on campus might do more harm than good. He said people bent on violence might resort to other, perhaps bloodier methods, such as swords.
"A person that's got skill with a sword in a very big crowd could put a lot more people down with a sword than a gun," he said. "They're silent. You'll have people screaming, but nobody knows what's going on."
WHAT?!?!?!
Is that not the funniest thing you have ever read??? Can you imagine some kid bringing a sword to school and chopping people up? OF COURSE NOT!! I've seen the guys that like to play with swords at BYU (the Mid Evil Club) and most of the girls I know could beat them up regardless if they had a sword or not. I mean come on....I guess this Oda guy has watched "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" one too many times. Also there is the fact that this is a terrible argument to allow guns at schools. The kind of people who would bring guns to shoot up schools are not the same people who would say "hmm... well I would really like to go on a shooting spree at class today, but it's against the rules to have guns at school, so I guess I won't do that. Hmm... maybe I'll get a sword instead." I can just imagine asking this Oda guy "so if some one were to come to your work place with either a gun or a sword what would you choose?" and of course this guys is like Dwight Schrut (from The Office on NBC aka the funniest show on TV, but anyway) and he would say "Fact, swords are silent and deadly. Question, when was the last time some one got decapitated by a gun, never. On the vast majority of Samurai movies people with swords easily kill the ones with guns." I just cannot believe how dumb some people are. Here is the link to the story if you want to see it for yourself.
Utah allows guns on college campuses
DAVE
11 years ago
1 comment:
Well Dave, as usual, Ben and I are laughing out loud as we read your blog. Good point about the swords- and yay for Dwight. Most attacks occur from behind you know!
Make sure you come get your BBQ soon- we are moving on Wednesday!
Anne and Ben
Post a Comment