Sunday, June 03, 2007

Well... we failed to conquer Mt. Timpanogos, but it was still a really fun hike. We got up at 5am (which was hard after getting to bed at around 1am), had breakfast and left by about 5:35. The drive took a little longer than I had estimated and we got to the trail head in the Timanokee campground at about 6:20. Bryon and his brother Jason and Jason's oldest son Braxton were already there when we arrived.

When I was leaving Provo I called my co-worker friend Mandi to make sure they were on the way and they said they were just leaving so they would be about 5 or ten minutes behind us. Jason and his son decided to leave right away to get head start because Braxton would be a little slower than the rest of us (he is only 9 or 10). Bryon, Virginia and I waited until 7am for Mandi and Mark to show but they didn't so we got started. The weather was perfect for the hike. It was a little cool in the morning so we didn't get too hot hiking up. After a about 2 miles we saw snow for the first time on the trail, but it was pretty easy to get around it. We stopped for a break and a snack at around 2 1/2 miles up. Then a little further up the trail we ran into some pretty steep and very slippery snow fields. I had to take the lead because I was the only one that had proper hiking boots with traction so I kicked in steps as best I could. After three snow fields and some pretty scary snow covered ledges that we had to get by we came to a spot where we lost the trail. Jason went ahead and tried to find the trail again, but he couldn't. So, not wanting to take any dumb chances we decided to go back. We estimate that we went about 4.5 miles up before we lost the trail. On the way back down we stopped at The Scout falls look out and took some pictures. Then we just headed back to the cars. When Virginia and I finally got home we were pretty pooped so we took a 4 hour nap. I am hoping to do it again in a few weeks and get all the way to the top, but I will have to convince some people to go with me. Here are the pics from the hike:










DAVE

No comments: