Sunday, August 19, 2007

So, yesterday we went to the movies and bought tickets to go and see Rush Hour 3. It's was pretty much like the first two, but without the comedy. I think they tried to be funny, but it was just absolutely terrible. It was like the cast had shown up about 5 minutes before the shoot and glanced at their lines and then shot the scene without any practice or second cuts. So, about half way into it, I got out my phone called up the movie hot line and found out the Harry Potter was starting soon so we just went and saw that instead. Harry Potter was alright, I thought that it was a little rushed just like the other Harry Potter movies, but it was a million times better than Rush Hour 3. After the movie we went to the Riverwoods mall and ate at a Brazilian restaurant called Tucanos. After eating a ton of meat we sat outside and listened to a local Salsa/Jazz band play some Latin music for a little while. You can see the post above for a little taste.

Friday was my birthday and it was pretty good, but I had to work a long day, as usual, but I got some sweet gifts from my family (a new LCD 20 wide screen monitor and some component video cables for our TV.)
This morning I watched some of a Democratic Presidential debate. I was really struck by how much of a moron Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were. I thought some of the other candidates had some interesting things to say, but they are clearly not anywhere as famous as the other two. Some of the candidates were talking about pulling out of Iraq within 6 months, which is obviously a dumb idea because the entire region would get involved in a huge war and thousands of people would die (plus, even worse, gas would cost $7 a gallon...lol, that was a little comment for my liberal friends) but a few of the candidates actually had somewhat intelligent answers about how bad it would be to pull out with out stabilizing the country first. Anyway, enough about politics.
Virginia had finally started taking a drivers ed. class, so hopefully by the end of next month she will have her license. On one hand it will be really nice not to have to cart her around when she wants to go anywhere, but on the other hand there will be insurance and I all the risks that come with driving. I think that I have a pretty good way to deal with the stress of her driving. That is, to expect her to crash the car at least once and maybe twice. I just hope that they are minor crashes and don't cost too much money to fix. I am not really worried about her safety too much because our Volvo is a really safe and big car. Well, I need to go and eat some cookies, but just another request you all to suggest some books to me since I only got one response to that request last time.
DAVE

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books:
1)Terry Brooks--Sword of Shannara series
2)Terry Brooks--Magic Kingdom series
3)Dave Duncan--King's Blades series
4)Lawrence Watt-Evans--Lords of Dus series
5)Mary Brown--Pigs Don't Fly
6)Ray Bradbury--any one at all
7)Isaac Asimov--Tales of the Black Widowers
8)Dan Brown--Angels and Demons, etc.
9)Clive Cussler
10)Stephen Hunter-wrote the book that "Shooter" was based on but the book was waaaaaay better
11)William Goldman-Princess Bride and The Silent Gondoliers
12)Robert Asprin--Myth series
13)David Brin--The Uplift Saga
14)Orson Scott Card--Ender's Game
15)Edgar Rice Burroughs--Tarzan, Pellucidar, Mars Series
16)Robert Heinlein--the ones for young adults are cool
17)Frank Herbert-Dune series plus the prequels to it by his son and Kevin Anderson
18)Anne Mcaffery--The SHip Who Sang
19) Robin Hobb--Liveship Traders trilogy, Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man trilogy
20)Some like Douglas Adams.

Anonymous said...

Steve and I recommend "Culture Warrior" by Bill O'Riley. I'm halfway thru it and it really opens your eyes to the mainstream media agenda.

Nhoj

Anonymous said...

Oh, well if we are getting into hoighty toity books, I can give you a whole list of those. I thought that you had asked for classic books, and Bill O'reilly is not considered, no matter hwich booklist one consults, one of the great masters.

Tolstoy, Hemingway, do not read Jude the Obscure.
Read Silas Marner then watch the movie "A Simple Twist of Fate."

Bill O'reilly, puhlease!

Anonymous said...

I agree! You might as well read Bill Bryson as Bill O'reilly. You get more humor and probably more truth.

Anything by C.S. Lewis.

Read true life story of Shackleton's expedition aboard the Endurance. Read the Ice Mater by Jennifer Niven. Into Thin Air. Read of hunting tigers by Jim Corbett.

Read the Book of Mormon, then read it again.

Read "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" by Roger Zelazny.

Read Godel, Escher and Bach..that's the name of the book, not the authors.

A Canticle For Leibowitz.

The Voyage of the Beagle, by Charles Darwin.

Unknown said...

I am suggesting that you read Batman:year one. A good graphic nove. Also The Dark Knight Returns. These are things that you will enjoy.

Ed McBain writes good crime story novels...quick and flowing yet full of good imagery.

Garcia--Casual Rex, Hot and Sweaty Rex--about dinosaurs that are in human disguise.

Barbara Kingsolver writes beautifully.

The LIfe of Pi

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe

ALexander Dumas--Count of Monte Cristo, The Man in the Iron Mask and The Three Musketeers of course.

Lewis Carroll--wrote Alice in WOnderland. Hey, don't dismiss it as a kid's book. The guy was a famed mathmetician and incoprporated stuff into the books that makes you go hmmm.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain to your illiterate Bill O'Reilly fans)

The Rubiat of Omar Kayan

Scott said...

In light of your political commentary I have a suggestion for you.

A Mormon in the White House? Ten Things Every American Needs to Know About Mitt Romney.

It's actually supposed to be a good read for LDS people.

Otherwise I don't read books. I did read about Darwin and the Beagle and Shackleton's voyage. Both good reads, with a lot of applicable "life-stuff." But not a very entertaining read.

ESPN the magazine.

Anne said...

Try Devil in the White City, I heard it was awesome (from my dad, so thats a man recommendation- if you are looking for some good chick reads though, let me know!)