Tuesday, January 12, 2016

10th Anniversary Trip To Hawaii


I had been planning a trip for our 10th anniversary to Hawaii since late 2014 and was originally going to make it a surprise, but with all the preparation that needed to go into it, I decided to tell V about it near the end of October.
We flew out Thanksgiving night after having Thanksgiving with the family. Right off the bat we had amazing luck. As we were going up the escalator I saw some flight attendants putting plumerias in their hair. I asked them if they were going to Hawaii and they said yes. Then I asked them if the flight was full, but I already knew the flight was mostly empty from asking at the baggage check, so when they told me the flight was mostly empty I enthusiastically introduced myself and V, and explained that we were going for our 10 year anniversary, and we would love to have an exit row if possible, for the extra leg room. They were very nice and said they would see what they could do. Then Virginia asked about 1st class and they said there were 13 seats open, to which we just laughed and said "oh... wow..." We boarded the plane and had a normal row to ourselves, as just about everyone did, but just before takeoff one of the attendants told us to follow her up to the front, and seated us in first class!. It was glorious! I've never been so comfortable on a plane in my life.
Once we got to Hawaii we took a short shuttle over to the rental car place and picked up our little Nissan Versa, and headed out to Hau'ula. We stopped once to get a bite to eat and since I needed to introduce V to some classic Hawaiian food we bought some spam musubi, manapua, and tuna rolls. We got to Susie's place around 11pm and she was an awesome host. We were both pretty tiered and went to bed.
Early the next morning we got up and went driving to see some of the sights of the north shore, and from there the trip was pretty much a blur. So I'll just give you the picture highlights of what we did for almost two weeks...

We stopped at the temple...


Went to Kualima Cove at Turtle Bay

Stay in an amazing room at the Ko'Olina Resort

Took walks along the beach at Ko'Olina

Visited Wahiawa Botanical Gardens
Pearl Harbor of course...

Lyon Arboretum up in the Manoa Valley



We also did the Koko head trail hike. AKA stairs of pain...
But the view was worth the pain



We also visited my favorite ward from my missionary days (Wahiawa 2nd ward) and even got to attend the ward Christmas party with former Bishop and good friend Tui Alailima and family.
Visited Waikiki


The Tabernacle in Honolulu

Snorkeling at Haunama Bay

Hiked Diamond Head in the morning to see the sunrise with 500 Asian tourists
Stopped at Lanai look out.
And visited the nearby blow hole.
We also spent an afternoon at Lani Kai beach park.
Snorkeling at Shark Cove on the North Shore. I almost died when a huge wave smashed over the sea wall...

Lastly, we went to the PCC and enjoyed the Ambassador package and Prime Rib dinner before the night show. 
I honestly can't imagine the trip going any better. I even got about $200 refunded to me for the rental car insurance that I didn't know was optional!
It was an unbelievable trip, but we were so happy to be home and see the Creatures!! A very big mahalo to everyone who made this trip possible (especially The Judith for watching the kids).

and Virginia had the brilliant idea to set up the tree before we left so it would be up when we got home.

Dave

No comments: