Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Judith has struck again....
I was setting up a online registry at Sears.com yeterday, and I was having a hard time finding thigs that I could register for that Virginia would not need to pick out personally (such as bath towels, silver ware, cookware and all the other stuff that women like to pick out). I did find a few things; power sander, steam cleaner, vegie chopper device, and an MP3 player. However this morning I recieved the following e-mail:
Dear Dave,
I enjoyed looking at your first registry. WHAT IF you took the MP3 player off?? Gift givers are looking for ways
to help you and Virginia start a household. As a general rule, they do not want to spend their hard earned money
on personal entertainment etc.. Just an idea. Love, Mom

My dreams were smashed in a single e-mail... well maybe not quite, but I was a little distraught. So I went online and (sadly) took the MP3 player off the registry.
Later in the day I got a voice mail from my sister. "Mom told me that she didn't like it that you had an MP3 player on your registry, but I think it's totaly ok, and you should leave it on." A glimmer of hope... So here I am with this dileama. To register, or not to register for the MP3 player (in case you are stuck in the stone age and don't know what an mp3 player is here is the link to the MP3 player I previously registered for)(however if you don't know what an mp3 player is you problably don't know how to use this link): Scan Disk MP3 player

So let me know what you think about this (post comments). And while I understand The Judith's argument, I think that much good can come from Virginia and I having this MP3 player. Think of all the possabilities... I could put my spanish learning cds on it, she could take a break and listen to music while studying at the library, I could use it to store pictures, she could use it to store papers, we could download audio scriptures (or music) on it and listen to them while we take road trips. So please let me know what you think!!
Thanks
Dave.
p.s. I just recieved the following e-mail from my sister:
Dave,
I Talked to the Judith and she agreed that she was being too strict! I remember Scott or someone else had registered for something silly like a cool toy that they saw and someone bought it for them. I think that toys are a good option, it's not like you're asking for an IPOD or something, and so what, anyway. Ben even registered for a weight set, so it doesn't have to be just household goods. I think that you should put it back on there, BUT I'm not the boss of you or anything. Love the poo

But I still want your input!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think The Judith is a little out of date. I agree that people don't want
to spend money on toys, but you can use an MP3 to network your entire house.
Some of our friends here have there apartment all wireless and they use
their MP3 set up to play on their stereo and everything. It's pretty nice.
Don't expect me to buy it for you though! I'm still broke. I'm sure you've
learned that the more money you have, the more money you spend. Uncle Rico
and I are actually making some real mulla finally, but living is expensive.


Anyway, I'd say put the MP3 on the registry, but I gaurantee you'd rather
have the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and dining room stuff instead. MP3's
pale in comparison to that stuff in regards to $$$$. I'd much rather have a
kitcken pan that will last 10 years than an MP3. Replacing crappy kitchen
stuff costs big $$$.
Scottchula

Anonymous said...

I agree with Scott, that other things are more important, maybe ask SANTA for mp3? And put really, really important things on the registry. ktp

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I read the blog and I agree with your sister. You should put whatever you want on the registry. Times are changing from when your mom got married, people wait longer and have more things by the time they get married and the registry is for you to get the things that you don't already have. In my opinion if you invited these people to your wedding then they are important to you and if they care about you they want you to be happy, hence they'll get you the mp3 player! Well good luck with it all!
PS. Mike (Jeff's brother) told us that he registered for squirt guns, and he got them!
Hedi

Anonymous said...

Dave, keep the MP3 player. Mozilla and I registered for a bunch of toys too. We did not get too many of them, but, hey, it was worth a shot. :)

Ben

Anonymous said...

Dave, I say leave it on there. Sometimes you've just got to do what feels right. Plus, there's no way I'm going to agree with Scott! Congrats on getting engaged, by the way.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I think it is inappropriate to put an MP3 player on your registry list. That is considered a personal item, although you are trying to justify it with all the things you would use it for, but people will think it's not quite right. If someone decides to get it for you then great, but it will most likely come from a relative or close friend who was planning on getting something more personal for you anyway, so don't insult the regular joe-shmoes whom you are sending an invite to b/c your parents know them or they are really old friends of the family who only remember you when you were weee high.
Bridal registry is only for household or things you can use to start your home. A mp3 player is not considered one of them. You may think b/c i'm not married i don't know what I'm talking about, but I am a girl and have been planning for this day to happen to me for a long time, so I do have some knowledge. Ok that's all I'll say about it.
Cat

Anonymous said...

dude,
register for whatever you want. My brother registered for a couple of big squirt guns. and he got em.
Jeff