Saturday, February 25, 2006

Last night I got off work a little bit early and went to my ward basketball game. We were playing a team that we had lost to a few weeks ago, but this time we had some more players. We won the game by about 15 points. It was pretty funny to see this one guy on the other team get so worked up over it. He's a really short guy that usually refs about all the games when he is not playing in them himself, but it was just funny to see him yelling at his teammates trying to coach them. I had a little scare in the first quarter. I was going up for a short and this guy hit the ball as I was raising it up and it kind of tweaked my shoulder. It really hurt. I subed out and then went back in after about 5 minutes. It ended up being fine and was only a little sore this morning. I had about 8 blocks in the game, it was pretty funny. After the game I went and picked up Virginia from work and went home. We watched American Idol. I had talked to some people at work and found out who got cut, so when I was watching it with Virginia I made it sound like I was guessing at who would get cut (but I already knew....booo haha). After AI we went to Waly World (Wal-mart) and bought a bunch of groceries.
This morning I took Virginia to work, and then on the way home stopped at a moving sale at this house down my street. I saw that they had an end table for sale for only $5. I have been looking for an end table for the last couple of weeks on craigslist.com and never found one for a good price. So, when I saw this one I was pretty happy. Not only was this what I was looking for, but it was also going to be a fun little project. As you can see the table is in pretty bad shape. The top looked like they either left it outside for a while or kept on getting it wet...









But as you can see not in too bad of shape for only $5. So I went to Home Depot and bought some stripper, stain and clear coat for it, and then came home and started working on it. I finished using the stripper on it, and have almost finished sanding it. I am kind of worried about the engraved parts of it but I am pretty sure that they will turn out fine.
While I was outside working on the table my neighbor Tom came out (he lives next door where I used to) and I suggested that we shoot his BB gun for a while (and no, I didn't shoot my eye out).




After that I worked on sanding some more until it got dark (and freezing cold). Here is what the table looks like right now. ( The last picture is next to the coffee table that I am going to try to match with the stain. )






All I need to do is finish the sanding and then apply the finish and then stripper. Anyway, I should have time next week to finish up the table and I will be sure to post a few pictures when I am done.
DAVE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you found a table for such a good price. I've always gotten flack for buying stuff at yard sales, but I've gotten some fantastic bargains. I got a 4 year old top of the line Panasonic VCR in perfect condition for $10 at a yard sale. They were selling it because they had lost the remote, but I went to a thrift store and found one for 99 cents. Many times at a yard sale if you offer $3 on a $5 item, they will take it.

Big John