Thursday, February 02, 2006

This morning I had my first interview at 11am with IHC for a imaging clerk position at Utah Valley Hospital. I thought it went pretty well. There were about six other people there interviewing for the same position, and they gave their presentations on football, their dogs, past work experience, getting married, and there were some that I had no idea what they were talking about (they were so nervous they didn't use complete sentences or complete trains of though). I ended up having two presentations ready.
My first one was: Why I have chosen the health care industry. It was basically composed of my mom is a nurse, I like helping people, I like IHC blah blah blah. My second presentation was on, Why I love my motorcycle. These are my notes I had ready (although I didn't use them while I was presenting):
Why I love my Motorcycle

First I am going to tell you a little about my motorcycle. I first saw it on the BYU buy and sell board. It is a 1978 Honda cx500. When I went to see it, it had about 36k miles and was in pretty bad condition. But when I took it for a test drive I fell in love with it, and ended up buying it for $700. I took it up to bountiful, where my uncle has a body shop and worked on it for a couple of weekends. When I got it, the tank was painted with a dull red house paint, and they used a brush to put it on, it also had some really cheap flame decal stickers on it, so needless to say it looked terrible, I spent about 8 hours sanding, grinding and scraping the tank all the way down to bare metal, as I did this I saw where previous owners had painted the tank with cheap paints and carelessly filled dents with bondo. Eventually, I repaired and repainted the tank a beautiful forest green. I also replaced the front headlight and gauge assembly. To me my Motorcycle is kind of like Mahana in the movie Johnny Lingo. When I first saw my bike it was ugly from neglect, but seeing the inner beauty of it, I fell in love with it and was able bring out that inner beauty out for everyone to see. When I took it over to the previous owner after I had done all the repairs, he said to me "“I didnÂ’t even know it could look like that."” Since having my motorcycle it has been one of the more reliable things in my life, it has also saved me money by its great gas mileage and time with the great parking I can get.

When I began I told them that I had two presentations ready, and I would let them chose. After I told them my two titles, I asked for a show of hands who would like to hear why I chose health care. No one rasied thier hands, so I said "OK, so I guess I'll talk about my motorcycle..." and then went into it. After all the presentations were done we were given a work sheet that you see below:
NASA Exersise Worksheet
Instructions: You are a member of a space crew originally scheduled to rendezvous with a mother ship on the lighted surface of the moon. Due to problems, you ship had landed 200 miles away and much of your supplies were damaged. Below are 15 items that you need to list in order of importance to allowing your crew reach your mother ship.
Items:
Box of matches
Food concentrate
50 feet nylon rope
parachutes silk
portable heating unit
two .45 pistols
one case dehydrated pet milk
two 100 lbs. O2 tanks
stellar map
life raft
magnetic compass
5 gallons H2O
signal flares
first aid kit
solar powered FM transmitter/reciever

Post a comment and list them in order of importance, and tomorrow I'll post the answers given by NASA.
So anyway, we did this individually and then as a group. I was assigned to be the scribe in the group and so I got to kind of be the group leader, and I thought that went well. After all that we got individual interviews. They asked questions like, "Tell about a time where you went above the expectations of your job." I thought that went well as well. I guess I'll find out how well soon though.
After the interview I went home becasue I had to be back at 2pm for another one of the same things for the Endoscopy HUC position.
When I got home Virginia was just getting ready to head up to the campus for some group work and then work. I made her a sandwich, cut up our pineapple and put some slices in a bag for her, packed her a yougurt and a bannana 'cause she was in a rush. Then I drove her up to campus and dropped her off.
When I got home it was time to leave again for my second interview. This one was much like the first, except I felt like they already had picked who they wanted for the position. When the managers came into the HR department they were walking with a girl they seemed to already know pretty well, and judging by how relaxed she was I could tell that she already had the job (at least that's the impression I got thoughout the whole process). I guess it's not really supprising, I just wish they wouldn't waste other peoples time when they already have someone they want.
On the way home from that I got a call from Virginia, she was at the health center after hitting her head really hard on a hand rail in a restroom. She was cleaing it with a co-worker and smelled some of the "stinky-skinky" or "wacky weed" so she went into the handi-man stall and saw some leaves on the floor and bent over to pick them up, but then when she went to stand she hit her head on the hand rail. She didn't want to but her boss made her go to the health center. So I drove over there and saw the Doc. with her, basically after he did some simple motor-skills tests and some eye tests her diagnosed her with a bump on her head. Her prescribed some Naproxen and we left. On the way to get Virginia I called my neighbor Danny about the application I gave him, and he told me he talked with the HR guy and it was going well. Also I found out the other night that my friend Jake Lee works at the same place and he said he would put in a word for me.
While I was waiting at the health center I got a call from Regnece and set up an interview for this comming wednesday at 1pm. So, hopefully with four applications going so well i will be able to get one job.
The big bummer of the day (besides my wifes accident) was that I learned my friend Bob is getting divorced. I used to be a housekeeper with him at Utah Valley, and I knew his wife kind of well. They seemed like a great match, but I guess she just went off the deep end and started partying. Bob was like "she was just like, I am tiered of being married and left"
So that was sad to hear. Anyway, I'll make sure to keep updates on how my job search is going.
DAVE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in a pickle,you need 02,food and water, but it doesn't do you any good you can't carry it...anyway, here is the order.
oxygen tanks
H20
stellar map
parachute silk
rope
life raft
first aid kit
pet concentrate
food concentrate
matches
signal flares
magnetic flares
pistols

Luke said...

you gotta keep the pistols, cause, man, they are just cool:)

Luke said...

how come you didn't post my stats or my mad dunk from the other night? Anyways here it goes:
19 points
10 rebounds
6 assists (most to dave for easy deuces)
2 blocks
probably double digit in turnovers, lol