Friday, March 31, 2006

Today I had a little run in with the “law”. Virginia called me at about 2:20pm because she had a break in between classes and wanted to go get something to eat. So I drove up to campus on my motorcycle and picked her up. While we were still driving through the campus parking lot a BYU police car pulled us over. I had expired tags on my bike because I have not registered is since I first bought it, and that was almost two years ago. So the cop got my license and old registration and took down some info. Then he was like “Well I could do two things here. First I could give you a ticket and impound your motorcycle”…. (At this point I was looking forward to option #2) “or I could let you go and have you come see me at the university police station in an hour.” So obviously I agreed to the second. At this point I was not really worried about getting a ticket because if he was going to give me one he would have just done it, and that would have been that, but since he was letting me go I figured that nothing would happen. So I took Virginia to subway and then back to her class. Then I drove into downtown and got the safety inspection on my motorcycle done, and then over to the DMV to get it registered. I thought that if I could get it registered before I was supposed to be back to meet the cop there would be no chance of getting a ticket. However, when I got to the DMV there was a huge line so I went home got my car and went to the station. When I got there I was wasting in the lobby for the receptionist to get off the phone when the cop that stopped me walked in and said

“Did you bring your bike?”

“No” I replied “I went home and got my car.”

“Ok well you are not ride your bike on campus until you get it registered.”

“Understood”

and that was that.

So after all it was pretty anti-climactic. Virginia gave me more of a hard time than the officer did. She was like “Mr. Marshall, you irresponsible, you…. If I would have known you didn’t have your thing done I would not have let you ride that motorcycle.” This of course was accompanied with sharp (but completely harmless) punches to my chest.

Anyway, after leaving the station I went back to the DMV hoping that I could make it in time for my number that they gave me (208), but when I got there they were already at 220. So I got a new one (264) and had to wait about 15 minutes in queue. When I finally got up, they charged me $45 and I was done.

Later tonight we are going over to PTD’s house for a housewarming BBQ thing. He just finished a new house in American Fork so it should be pretty fun. The only bad thing is that it looks like this outside….

So hopefully there will not be a huge rain storm to ruin the BBQ.

DAVE

No comments: