Thursday, June 21, 2007

So as you may already know, depending on how close you are to me, I have a new job. This last Tuesday I was working in at the hospital when I got a call from my Manager to come and see him in his office. I went over to his office and he and his boss where there and in short told me that I was being terminated. I had unknowingly broken some pretty major violations by posting some content to this blog. The main one was the pictures of the x-rays that I posted last week. As you may have noticed the post with the pictures of the x-rays is now gone for obvious reasons. Also to my surprise I was breaking the rules by posting a picture of my employee badge which I think is kind of lame since all it had was my picture and the company logo. They also cited some other stuff in my blog that referred to my supervisor, co-workers and patients, but the main thing (meaning what got me fired) was the pictures of the x-rays. I was pretty shocked about getting fired, but I had a good talk with the two bosses and told them that I thought that they were great and I was sorry for making the mistake that required them to fire me. I also went and talked to my supervisor and apologized for the things that I said about her (we had actually been getting along pretty well for the last few months) and told her why I had said the things that I did. We talked for a few minutes and I wished her well and left. I told a few people on the way out that I had been "canned", at first they didn't believe me but the general response was "that sucks man". I can't really complain about what happened too much since this is a public site (at least it was before I put some permissions on it) and I did it to myself. The other stuff was basically me venting about my job (which I believe is something everyone does once in a while, I just had it posted to my blog where other people can read it). Some of the stuff I said was pretty mean and I didn't really mean for anyone who it was directed at to read it, but that was how I was feeling at the time.
Anyway, I am now working as a granite counter top installer for Premier Marble and Granite. My buddy Matt (from building fences last year) hooked me up with this job. It is actually going to turn out to be a kind of big raise for me, so that will be nice. I am not going to be doing the x-ray tech program anymore due to not being able to do clinical hours at IHC facilities and IHC not paying for it. I am actually pretty happy about that because I didn't really want to do the program for the right reasons in the first place. I was just doing it because I had nothing else to do. I still want to do the nuclear medicine program up in Washington when we move back there, but that is a ways off. Well, that's it for now I need to get some sleep, I have my first day tomorrow.
DAVE

4 comments:

Luke said...

sorry to hear about that. I am glad you still have lots of opportunities and goals. Good to see you have mad skillz on and off the court. Now you can make it to all our games next year! I appreciate the heads up on work related stuff. I had no idea a company could do that.

Anonymous said...

Yes, a company can and does do that kind of survellance on their employees. In this age of 'it's somebody else's fault' litigation, a company has to be extremely careful about a lot of things. It is very common for a company to monitor all employee internet use and email. A certain very large company has a special filtering system to keep employees from even accidently visiting web sites that would violate the company standards. I think that you made your exit thoughtfully, trying to make amends, and especially by not burning bridges. Hopefully, in the future if you need a recommendation from them, they won't say anything negative about you. As the saying goes, "Keep your words sweet, in case you have to eat them someday".

Veeda said...

I know that a lot of people have been fired because of the stuff they post on their blog.

A friend of mine at BYU got an honor code call as well.

EMERALD CITY MILAMS said...

Dave,

You just gotta get out of UTAH man. lol!

Sucks that you got fired, but you know things will work out. The sooner you find your way back into the Great Northwest, the better off you'll be. Try to make it sooner than later. My kids need to get beat up on by their big Uncle Dave!