Friday, April 24, 2009

Can you guess which of these pictures does not belong in the middle of April?


These pictures were only take two days apart. This is one reason why I miss Washington.
In other news KTP now has her very own blog! It's called Wiggle Wallet So be sure to visit and post a comment.
V is one step closer to her permanent residency. We went yesterday and got her finger prints done at an office in SLC. It was surprisingly quick.
I have also been quite the busy homeowner recently fixing a number a minor problems with plumbing, appliances and even putting new brake pads on my car. Here are a few things that have made my life a lot easier.

Tuesday night while taking a shower I noticed that the water would only get to about luke warm, even with it turned all the way to hot. I thought V had used it all up, but when I asked her she said it was the same when she showered. Upon inspection the pilot light in the water heater was out. I read the instructions on how to re-light it, but after I got it lit it would not stay on after I released the pilot light button. I thought I would be able to just clean the thermocouple like I had done with our furnace earlier this month, but after cleaning it, nothing changed. This was at 11pm on Wednesday night, so I was forced to take coldest shower of my life that night. After some research I found that I probably just needed to replace the thermocouple all together.

I had to get one of these to get the old thermocouple off. Now the new one works like a champ.
Last weekend I finally had some time to change my brake pads. After I got the old ones off, the new ones were too thick to fit over the rotor. The Haynes manual just said "push the piston back into the cylinder with pliers" after about an hour and a half of trying to force the piston back I did some research and found that I needed one of these.

The first side took me about 3 hours to change, and the second side took me about 20 minutes.
It's amazing how much of a difference having the right tools can make. It's too bad I don't have a Harbor Freight closer to my house.
DAVE

1 comment:

Scott said...

If you lived in WA, I would have taken care of your house problems for you man. of course, i would have called john...lol